Saturday, May 30, 2009

Everyday Brings Something New


On Friday, when we got there, they still hadn't started his 3rd blood transfusion yet. Since the UA in his belly button was taken out, they have to start an IV for these and poke him to draw blood now (poor baby). They kept poking him different places and were unsuccessful, so lastly they put the needle in the TOP OF HIS HEAD! Talk about tearing a mom's heart out! They said that unfortunately the best veins on preemies are in their heads. So now he has a little IV poking out (don't know how long that will be there).


His PDA (tube that bypasses lungs) did not close with the first round of medicine, so they decided to try it again with the same medicine (ibprofen), but double the doses and extent it over 5 days instead of just 3. Pray that this works, because if not, he'll have to have surgery to close it.


Now for the good news!

1. His white blood cell count keeps going up! I got to change his diaper and take his temperature again, but didn't have to where gloves this time.

2. He has gained 4 oz. since he was born! He is now 1 lb. 15 oz.

3. Lastly, only parents will understand... when I was talking to him, he was working so hard to open his tiny eyes (he opened them 3 times). I think he recognized my voice.


I was supposed to hold him, but the nurses thought that since he is so sensitive to touch which make his levels drop, that we should hold off on this. Obviously, I want what is best for him and will wait patiently. I also want it to be a positive experience for both of us.

6 comments:

  1. That IS excellent news!! And OF COURSE he recognized your voice! You're his mom. Just like he will recognize Dan's voice. :o) I am so happy he is making such wonderful progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear the good news. Still thinking of you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey guys, Thank you so much for keeping us posted. I love looking at the pictures of Gabe. I bet that was so awesome to finally be able to touch him without gloves. I am praying for you all constantly and know that God is right there by your side. And you guys being there right by Gabe's side is helping him more than you can know. You guys seem to be doing well and staying strong but PLEASE if you need ANYTHING at all don't be afraid to ask. We love you guys so much.

    Steph

    ps we missed you at small group but were praying hard for the three of you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe without a doubt that he recognized your voice and I am sure it comforts him. Thanks for the detailed updates. Its nice to stay updated when we are away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I hated that IV in the head. My son had to have that, too. Isn't that awful? He had one in his head, a PICC line, an arterial line in his foot, etc. It does just kill a mommy's heart to watch that, I know how you feel! We are praying for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. By the way, I posted a long comment earlier but somehow lost it. Dan, this is Missy (hofer) Adam :) and we are praying for you guys. My son was on ECMO and had a lot of issues at Children's Mercy here in KC so I know a lot of the feelings you are going through. I'm so glad you guys got to hold him!! Yea!! I remember the first time I finally got to hold him, it was so emotional!!!! I didn't want to let him go. :) I also remember about pdas and all that NICU stuff (jack had that as well but it cleared up finally, I don't know if I ever mentioned it in our blog, "jack's life" or not, but I'm familiar with it). Much love to you guys, and many prayers. Our son is alive today because of God's power and we are praying for your little one!!! :)

    ReplyDelete