Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Recovery Day One

We learned today that Gabe still has a heart murmur. However the murmur is not associated with his now closed PDA. (Praise God!) It is called a “PPS" murmur or peripheral pulmonary stenosis. From what we understand it isn't anything to worry about.

This is what I found out about it online: "In newborn babies the arteries that lead to the lungs (branch pulmonary arteries) are typically somewhat small. When the blood gets pumped from the large artery leaving the heart and enters these smaller pulmonary arteries, there is very often some turbulence and the blood makes a whooshing noise similar that that of water going through a bend in a garden hose. " He should grow out of this murmur.

Other news: Gabe's chest tube was removed today. It was sooner than we anticipated, and should allow him to be more comfortable while he recovers. He also has been started on some thyroid medicine to compensate for his low levels. The levels are checked every morning for progress.

5 comments:

  1. I am so excited to hear is PDA is completely closed, that is awesome!!
    Also awesome that his chest tube is out already. God is good.
    We will continue to pray for Gabe daily and that all of his other health concerns will get better quickly.
    I am also praying for the both of you too, I can't imagine how tiring and stressuful it must be for you guys. But Gabe will be home before you know it and all this will be behind you.
    I am so glad I got to help clean the house today, I enjoyed it and am ready to help again!!

    Love
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shannon & Dan,
    Prayers are still coming your way... I am so glad to hear Gabe is recovering well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This morning I was reminded of an old church summer camp song:
    Be Bold, Be Strong, for the Lord your God is with you...
    Be not afraid, (no,no,no) be not dismayed, (no,no,no)
    Walk in faith and victory, come on and Walk in faith and victory,
    For the Lord your God is with you!

    Sending love from the Cedar Valley--

    (Another camp song memory...this is the song that never ends....far less inspiring)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Gang! What great news! I am amazed everyday I read an update. Gabe is just knocking it out of the park and I love it! Praise you Jesus! I loved White Baby's Momma song. It reminds me of Isaiah 41:10 - Do not fear, for I am with you, do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will streghten you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd like to clarify a screen name for everyone. I have a nephew, from my sister, whose last name is White. Her screen name sounds a little red neck... :), but my brother in law does like Nascar.

    ReplyDelete